Meme Cardigan, Part Four

Once your Meme Cardigan is complete, you can choose how you want your front closure.

I tried out two different closures for my cardigans. The first was easy and quick with just a zipper. The second was a little more involved, but worth it. I love both!

For the first Meme, I simply pinned my zipper to the back of the garter stitch edging and then sewed it on.

Couldn't be simpler.

For the second one, I used these cute little wooden oval buttons.

First I attached each button to the garter stitch edging, positioning each one at the middle of the twisted-stitch cable beside the front closure.

On the corresponding band, I attached yarn and worked one slip stitch to stabilize it, then three crochet chain stitches for the loop, and ended with another slip stitch, all corresponding to the look-a-like loop in the cable pattern. Then I wove the ends in very well. 

I could have made loops in the garter stitch edge as I worked it, binding off three stitches on one row and casting those stitches back on in the next row. As it was, I had not decided quite how I was going to work those buttonholes/loops, so I worked the edging and let it rest until I decided. This was easy to work after the cardigan was finished and blocked. 

At the back of both the button loop side and the button side, I sewed grosgrain ribbon for stability and to hide some yarn ends.

I've worn both these sweaters and tested them and both closures work very well. I am now working on another one for my mom and she has requested big buttons. I'll show you how that goes.

How will you close up your Meme Cardigan?





Comments

Popular Posts