Cable Crest

Thanks to my friend Sue and her fine testing skills, I now have another new pattern ready.


I have been having lots of fun over the past year or so making cables from 2/2 rib. There is an absolutely endless array of cables possible. I have had to stop myself, or I'd just do it forever. I will come back to it--I must! It's so much fun.

This sample is made with the scrumdiddlyishus Malabrigo Kettle-Dyed Worsted Merino Wool. This color, called Melody, kinda looks like I dropped in the Georgia red mud...but in a good way!

I used size 8 needles to give the fat, single-ply (see, I've been learning from Clara--see this post) lots of room to breathe.
Here's a detail shot of the Cable Crest--a little dance of cables choreographed from the k2 bands.

The hat starts just like the scarf, but joins at the back. You could leave it like that, come to think if it, if you just wanted a headband. But if you want a toque kind of hat, stitches are picked up on one edge of the headband and immediately decreased for the crown. It's so comfy!

Doesn't it look comfy on Sue's lovely daughter Rachel modeling Sue's Cable Crest? Sue made hers with Morehouse Farm Merino Wool in a soft lavendar. So pretty! I think she actually got this yarn at last year's Knitter's Review Retreat (yep, it all goes back to Clara).
We were going to use Malabrigo for the test, but wow, we had some troubles. First, I ordered some Tiger Lily Malabrigo from Sarah at Knot Another Hat. In her fantastic-customer-service way, she sent it pronto. But, when I opened the box, I was greeted by Cheetos! It was so bright I could barely look at it. I had to send it right back. Then we tried Cypress Malabrigo and Sarah did the swap for me and sent it straight to Sue. Well, it was almost black. We knew this would not adequately show off the cables, so Sue offered to use stash yarn and replace it with the Cypress, which she will use for something suitable for such a dark color. Whew!
I tell you this story to caution you about ordering Malabrigo online. Neither the colors on the Malabrigo site nor any other site can really give you an idea of the true colors. My advice is to either buy it in person or ask the online retailer for some help.
One more note: As you can see, my scarf is a shortish one at 50", but Sue made hers 74" long so that she could wrap it around her neck and let the Crest ends hang to the waist. You can make it any length you want, because the middle section of the scarf is just the rib.
Okay, enough waxing on. Gotta go. Fred and I are having our Fright Night tonight, since Halloween falls on a weeknight again this year. We must get to the store before all the good pizzas get taken!
Have a very fun Saturday and Sunday, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts