The Last Wanda Nell?

Well, it might just be the last Wanda Nell Cardigan for me. You see, this is my fifth one!

Since I first told you about this one I have happily knitting it in between other work and even took it camping with us. Perfect evening fireside knitting.
I finished the knitting a couple of weeks ago.
Then blocked her in the upstairs bedroom where it's nice and warm.
Flipped her over to get her backside dry.
And finally finished the front closure. Notice anything different? 
No buttons!
This time I sewed snaps to some satiny ribbon and then stitched the ribbon to the front ribbing.
I like it even better than the buttons I've attached on all the other Wanda Nells I've made.
Here are the Wanda Nells in my possession.
On bottom is the first one, knit with Claudia as well, but in Maple Leaf and Shells on the Beach.
The next one up was knit with Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in an old colorway of hers called Sailor's Delight and Wool in the Woods Cherub (discontinued).
The brown one was made using Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in Chocolatier (gone, but now she has Fudge) and Schaefer Nichole in Julia Child (discontinued).
Then on top is the latest rendition with Claudia's sock yarn in Walk in the Woods and Stormy Day. My second one is with my Aunt Wanda, the namesake of the pattern, and was made with Pagewood Farm Yukon in Sea Breeze. 

Why is this likely* my last Wanda Nell? It's not because I don't love knitting her--she goes so fast and is so lightweight and comfy to wear. No, the only reason for moving on is that I want to make her daughter. This last one inspired me to design another sock yarn sweater, but this time I'll make it a pullover. I'll let you know when it's all figured out.

I hope you'll try a Wanda Nell Cardigan for yourself. For most sizes, all you need are a couple of large skeins of sock yarn. It's such a fun project--top-down and with no seams.   


*Disclaimer: My mom has been sneakily craving a Wanda Nell and I only found out about that when my Aunt Wanda spilled the beans that Mom told her this juicy piece of news. I may need to make my mom one. Oh, darn, you know I would just hate that.

Comments

Popular Posts