NaCroMo 2014

I almost missed it!

In years past, I have spent the whole month celebrating National Crochet Month, but this year, I'm just barely skidding in at the end. For the past couple of weeks I've been working a little here and there on a birthday present for two special little folks.
Here's a hint.

You guessed it! Granny squares!

My grandtwins recently got big kid twin beds (appropriately) and my daughter mentioned that she had yet to cover the boxed springs. I immediately thought of this pin that I had on Pinterest. After confirming with Emily that she liked the idea, I got the measurements from her and got to work.

First I dug into the stash and rounded up all the flat (not heathered, not marled) colors I could find, especially the bright ones. These are all worsted weight 100% wool yarns (Cascade 220, Patons Classic Wool, Lion Wool, etc.). I made a gauge square to calculate how many rounds I would need to make a nine-inch square (the height of the boxed spring). It took eight rounds using a size H (5 mm) hook, so I started with Malcolm's batch, changing colors every round and weaving in all the ends as I went along to be nice to myself. Then I joined them as I worked. Once I had ten squares (almost half the number needed), I thought I would switch and start Lucy's, which I decided to make more like the inspiration project and work two rounds of each color, each with a white border. Malcolm's has more dark colors worked in, too.
I'm having a lot of fun "coloring outside the lines!" For instance, I wouldn't normally put these three outer colors anywhere near one another, and especially not snuggled right up against purple.
But it's a granny square, so it works!

I have ten squares done on Malcolm's and two done on Lucy's. Only 30 more to go!
I'll keep you posted, even though NaCroMo is over tonight at midnight. Anytime is right for crocheting!

Comments

Popular Posts