Monday, May 27, 2013

Brendigan Scarf

I started working on this Brendigan Scarf design over a year ago. I wanted something Art Deco, something angular and Erte. I found three stitch patterns with the right look and feel and proceeded to make them each transition into the next. That's where the problem creeps in sometimes. When I try to push and change things, I sometimes end up having to put the project aside and let it rest before it makes sense again.

When I was ready to jump back into it, I knew that this Nautilace from Cephalopod Yarns in Bubble Eye would be just the ticket. A design like this one needs a yarn and color that allow it to be strikingly and dramatically displayed. I happily worked up the scarf and blocked it and hung it where I could examine it while I edited the pattern. In editing, I started another in Malabrigo Lace. This time I kept it simple so I could test out the use of a 100% merino single ply lace.
In the making of this one, something about the original started to bug me. I had to tweak the edges on a couple of the stitch patterns because it began to bother me that they just ran all the way to the edge. I added some garter stitch here and there to remedy that, and of course that called for a pattern rewrite and more editing. Sigh...

It was worth it, though. I like this version much better.
This is a closeup of the end pattern, which is worked first.
And here is the center pattern.
When you join each of the two halves at the center, this is what happens.
Cute little round thingys!

When working the first sample, I blocked the first half before working the second half. This way I was able to compare the two blocked and unblocked pieces.
What a difference blocking makes!

I hope you'll try a Brendigan Scarf for yourself!
I think you'll like it.

1 comment:

stitchesbymom said...

beautiful. i think i may try making one myself