Change a Pullover into a Cardigan: Part Two


I'm back! Pardon the delay, but I had to go button shopping. Where were we? Oh, yes, we were cutting up a pullover so it could become a cardigan. Let's carry on.
I've got good light today because we have lots of sunshine, but still these pictures are a little unclear because of the fuzzy yarn. I know you'll not only excuse the fuzzy yarn, but also love it.
I thought I would show you how the cut edges are not falling apart, just to reassure you...

...before we hide them all by turning back the crochet edge to the wrong side and whip stitching it down.

All done! And notice that I folded down the collar and whip stitched it as well. This pullover had a roll-neck edge and didn't look especially neat after whacking its center front in half, so I decided to tidy it up a bit. I considered several things: picking up stitches along the top of each button and buttonhole band and along the back of the neck for a ribbed collar, turning it into a V-neck by either sewing a line and cutting some more and then picking up for a shawl collar, turning it into a deeper crew neckline by said sewing and cutting, and picking up stitches for a shirt collar. I decided to leave the neckline simple, and I'm so glad I did!
Here's a closeup of the inside back of the neck.

Once I had the front edges and the collar tacked down, it was quite easy work to pick up stitches for the bands. I usually like to put in holes on both sides and then close the button band side when I sew on the buttons. That way I'm sure they'll match.


I worked the bands in the same 3/2 rib as on the body and cuffs, adding an eyelet buttonhole (my favorite) to every other k3 section.

The smaller weight, smooth wool yarn I chose to work the crochet reinforcements worked well for attaching the buttons as well. You can hardly see all the sewing on the wrong side.

I closed each hole as I took the yarn through the first "X" of attaching the buttons, and before another pass, I wound a shank between button and fabric to make the buttons stand up from the band a little for easier fastening. 



This project is complete. I love it!

I am so glad I took scissors to this once pullover. I know I'll wear it more often now. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it right now and I don't know when I'll take it off. I might even wear it to bed.


Comments

kristin said…
It looks great, Jen! And very snuggly.
Jen Hagan said…
Thanks Kristin! It is soooo comfy. Like wearing a teddy bear!
Cat said…
Yep, it's gorgeous. Thanks for the play by play, it gives me lots to think about :)
Judi said…
It looks great, I'll have to try one of my own.
Well done! I wish I had a pullover that I could cardiganize, but no such luck. I love the steeking process, and your results.
Jen Hagan said…
Thanks, Cat and Judi! Michele, I love that word--cardiganize. Good one! And thanks for your kind words. :-)
This looks great! I'm leering at a couple of sweaters in my closet!
Thanks so much for this great info.
Vicki
Jen Hagan said…
Go get 'em! Thanks for reading and leaving a sweet comment!

Popular Posts