Friday Food Fun: Oatmeal Yogurt Breakfast Bowl

I had a great recipe many years ago for making an oatmeal dish that sat in the fridge overnight and produced a creamy breakfast for the next morning's enjoyment, but with all the many moves and different lives, I can't remember the source. I've never forgotten it, so when I saw SLC Foodie's recipe for a delicious raw oatmeal cup, it all clicked.
I tried the same thing but with yogurt, and it worked!

Oatmeal Yogurt Breakfast Bowl

1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 cup raw oatmeal (not instant)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
3-4 chopped dried apricots

Mix all ingredients together and place in airtight container (preferably glass) and leave overnight.
Wake up, give yourself a stretch. Eat your oatmeal. Easy!
2 servings

This is just the first version I tried. I also want to try it with fresh or frozen strawberries or peaches, or even with some fresh banana slices added just before eating. It would also be good with other dried fruits--raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries, etc. I use Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats, Nancy's Organic Yogurt, and real maple syrup. It made a yummy, creamy, chewy breakfast. Let me know if you try it and how you put in your own special touches.

Time for our yarn pairing! I thought I could easily find some oatmeal-y yarn in my stash, but I found it somewhat easier to find a yarn to mimic the dried apricots I used in this recipe. I found that this Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in Equinox had some apricot hues. This Hanks in the Hood handspun/hand-dyed that I got from Jen way back at OFFF in 2010 had some, too! If only I had the time to do more than admire their loveliness. Sigh.

Meanwhile, back to the mystery sweater. I hope your knitting and crocheting and everything else goes smoothly today! 

Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular Posts