Quartercenturian

Last month we finally got to spend my daughter Natalie's birthday with her. This is the first time in seven years I've been with her on her day. She's a Washington girl now, as of August 1. She bravely packed away and/or gave away everything she owned except what could fit in a medium-large suitcase and one carry-on bag and moved here from Atlanta. We had her car shipped and she's redesigned our basement apartment for herself for the time being. Soon she'll be on her own again, but for now we are thrilled to have her here.
We started the big day with a champagne breakfast (whooper breakfast as it is known around here) and Natalie filling Fred in on the whole Sudoku phenom. Those boxes you see in the corner are the result of her efforts helping me get seven Figheadh trunk shows ready. She's a huge help around here. I'm gonna hate when she gets a real job and can't help me as much.

The big 25th birthday ended after a yummy sushi dinner and with a curious little so-called Red Velvet cake of Nat's choosing from a local bakery. I say curious because it was unlike any Red Velvet cake I've ever had. You see, in the South our Red Velvet cakes are only made with hearty cream cheese frosting and NO coconut, thanks. This one had a very Criscoey frosting with clearly no cream cheese and (what?) coconut in it. Good thing we opted for the small size! Needless to say, there's still some in the freezer. We were wishing for my sister's champion version. It's so good that my oldest daughter Emily chose it for her wedding cake.

I'll tell ya who else can make some real Red Velvet lusciousness--Sweet Things, a new cupcake shop right here in Tacoma. They opened last Saturday, and we had the good fortune to hop by and try out their Red Velvet cupcakes. Ah, at last. The real thing. You have to try it! Like little teasers of my sister's mastery. A taste of home.
Happy 25th to Natalie! We can't wait to see what the future holds for you!

Comments

Knittinreed said…
Happy birthday to her! What a sweet post :-) My mom used to make red velvet cake - with cream cheese icing too.

Popular Posts