XL Weekend

We had a terrific Thanksgiving holiday...and we're still having it! This started last night...


...and it's here to stay for a while. The temperatures promise not much more than freezing all day, the roads are icy, and we're staying put! (See how folks love to do doughnuts in our intersection--if only we had a roundabout!)

Our holiday started last Wednesday. Fred took the day off, and since school was only half-day, I took the day off, too. This gave us the opportunity to shop for turkey and such before the crowds got to the store. We always buy a fresh turkey--not frozen--so the shopping must be done no earlier than day before T-day. I wanted to get a free-range bird, but, honestly, they were just too scrawny! Athletic turkeys, they are. For your once-a-year important bird, plump and juicy is a must. Here's our little Thanksgiving dinner for two. The T, stuffing (not cooked inside the turkey--onions & celery go in there), green beans, a modest sweet po casserole, fresh cranberry sauce, green salad, rolls, turkey gravy, and white wine. It was simply divine.

Only the turkey was largish, so that there be plenty for soups and sandwiches! For me, white meat on black Russian rye with mayo, yellow mustard, and Worcestershire; for Fred, nine grain, white meat, brown mustard, mayo, and black pepper. How do you like your leftover turkey sandwich?

After dinner, we started a Lord of the Rings movie marathon. We did this over Christmas break last year, but I think it may become a Thanksgiving tradition. We have the extended version, so it takes a good, long while. It's so much fun to watch all in succession. It always makes me want to read the book again, though. We went to bed Sunday night with Tolkein books--Fred had The Hobbit, and I had The Silmarillion. I want the back story. Who's really who and all. Also, I had to get out the big book and check some facts. Facts like, why is Denethor so completely off his nut? Ah, checking the text, I am reminded that there were Seven Seeing Stones. Saruman was not the only one with a palantir. Denethor also had one, and since they are all direct channels for Sauron to corrupt minds and ruin lives and fates, it's no wonder old Den ends up pouring oil all over his miserable self and almost torches Faramir along with dear old dad. I just love this stuff!

Carrying on with the account of our weekend, we had our first fire of the year on Friday, had a new mattress and box springs delivered on Saturday, woke up (after a wonderful night's sleep on the new bed) to a light snow on Sunday morning, and took a good walk on the waterfront (four miles) later in the day. The snow melted as the day went on, so Fred went in to work yesterday. Not I. I stayed home and worked on projects and took care of personal business, like making a doctor appointment (routine--no worries) and catching up on email. I was scheduled to sub for a middle school art teacher for the rest of the week, when, lo and behold the weather has given me another day off! That means I've been home for a whole week. Bliss.

As for knitting, I've been working with some Katia "Scotch" and a sweater sample in 2/2 rib. It's for a future book by a super-cool author, so I won't be able to show. The Scotch sample is actually a prototype. The actual sample will be with Cascade 220. But I will also be swatching with some Patons Classic Merino vs. Lion Brand Wool (the new stuff) in order to rework one of my existing designs. I'll show you that! I'll be asking for opinions. I wanted to show the colors today, but blogger decided, "No more pics for you!" Image Nazi! Pfff.

Have a great day, wherever you are!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow. This is weird. I can't believe y'all are getting snow and we haven't even had our first flurry of the year here yet. The world is topsy turvy.
LavenderSheep said…
Sarah got her copy of Cast On today. I love your sweater!!! I keep wondering if I should put it on the list of sweaters to make my husband or just keep it for myself. Very tough choice I must say.

Popular Posts