Harrow Tam

Sometimes a design idea comes from seemingly nowhere, and sometimes I am shamelessly trying to almost copy something. Notice I said almost, because I would never try to exactly copy another design. That's stealing. Almost copying is inspiration!

I love the movie Summer in February for its scenery and hand knits as much as for any other reason.

And when I saw this cable and lace beret worn several times in the movie by Emily Browning (seen here canoodling with Dan Stevens), I had to try to design one. I didn't examine the hat closely before deciding on the stitch patterns, because I just wanted to replicate 
the drape and shape. 

Emily also wears an incredible cabled cardigan throughout the movie, but that's another design chore for another day. Bravo to Nic Ede for costume design in this movie. 

See? Beautiful!

Here's my version of the beret in the movie, which I call the 

Fortunately, I was able to use a very similar-looking yarn for the Harrow. 
This is Bare Naked Wools Stone Soup Fingering in Pumice, a lovely yarn with a bunch of different fibers. You name it, it's in there!

Kelli!
I also made one with Madelinetosh Merino Light in Manor for a colorful version.

The Harrow Tam is part of the Homegrown Hat Collection and is an easy knitted project with a simple four-row cable and lace stitch pattern. The crown decreases in pattern and the written pattern includes two sizes, 19.25" and 23" circumference at the brim. It blocks out to 10" diameter at its widest point by stretching it over a large dinner plate to achieve the tam shape. The pattern also has written and charted line-by-line instruction.

I hope you'll try her!

Comments

Popular Posts