Skip to main content



Alford Aran Cardigan Tips

 Having just coached a knitter through the entire upper body of the Alford Aran Cardigan by email, I thought it would be a good idea to post a tutorial for the rest of you Alford knitters with some of the same guidance. First of all, I'd like to add a little backstory. I named this design after my Grandaddy Dexter Alford, who left this plane in 1992, but still lives vibrantly in my heart. I made it a unisex design for anyone who wanted to wear it, and filled it with big, chunky cables. I took the basic structure of the sweater from our beloved Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Saddle-Shoulder Sweater" included in her book Knitting Workshop . Look on pages 81-82 if you have the book. If you don't have it, get that thing! Let's go over the construction of the Alford Aran Cardigan. The Alford Cardigan is worked from the bottom hem up to the collar, and the only seams are at the back center of the collar and at the underarms, which are grafted.  The body is knit flat, as wi

Latest Posts

General Notes for Fundamental Top-Down Cardigan Patterns

Na Craga Saga

Rainbows, No Lollipops

Figheadh Pattern Updates: Round One

I'm back!

Whalsay Gansey Pullover

Show Us Your Lauren Tanks!

The Great Grethryn Color Project

Show Us Your Glentrekkers!

Happy November--Here's Our POM's!